Job Vacancy: Clinical Consultant
Mae Tao Clinic (MTC) is an internationally renowned community-based organization (CBO) that provides and advocates for an equitable and essential health system, education and protection for vulnerable and displaced people living in the Thai-Burma border area and Eastern Burma. MTC addresses the needs and human rights of these people through comprehensive programs and a collaborative approach with local, national, and international individuals, organizations and government bodies.
The clinical consultant is an essential member of the health management team, supporting mainly the clinical aspects of Mae Tao Clinic: assisting health workers with management of complicated cases; providing training, including CME (continuing medical education) for clinical staff; assisting the referral team in liaising with Mae Sot hospital (MSH)/Shoklo Malaria Research Unit (SMRU)/Myawaddy hospital on referral processes. The clinical consultant will engage in capacity building of the Health Management team for the development/revision of medical policies and procedures.
Working week and location
The role requires you to work a minimum of 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday. However, the nature of the work means you may occasionally work outside these hours/days. The position is based in Mae Sot, Thailand. There could be an occasional requirement to travel in Thailand or Myanmar.
Role & Responsibilities
- Assist in the management of difficult/complicated patients in the clinic. Which departments you mainly support depends on your clinical experience and in coordination with the other doctor(s)
- Engage in direct clinical work at a consultant level, supporting ward rounds, outpatient department(s), and providing health staff with advice, guidance and bedside training.
- Take a leading role in building capacity of members of the Health Management team to organize CME (continuing medical education) for all clinical staff and build the capacity of senior staff to deliver training. Give expert clinical teaching on your specialty to all relevant health staff.
- Assist with the referral of cases unable to be managed at MTC and work closely with medical staff at Mae Sot hospital in accordance with the referral policy
- Work together with the health management team to develop and/or revise medical policies and procedures depending on the clinic’s needs.
- Work with the health management team to further develop/monitor the assessment of staff clinical competencies.
- Assist with performance appraisals and with quality assurance and improvement activities such as chart reviews and audits.
- Attend medical meetings with partner organizations and other health related meetings.
- Assist the Deputy Director of health with clinical issues/quality improvement projects/ reports (including the annual report).
- Collaborate actively with health managers and attend weekly health managers’ meetings; in addition to other meetings relevant to health services
- Participate in data analysis and project reporting.
- Together with the other clinical consultant, take responsibility for building the capacity of the Health Management team to develop, implement and coordinate medical projects to improve patient care/outcomes.
- Orientate and coach all international medical volunteers/students at Mae Tao clinic. Liaise with the health management team and admin team.
- Oversee and support other clinical departments/areas at MTC as required.
- Will be responsible to the Deputy Director of health.
Qualifications & Experience
- Recognized medical degree and registration in country of origin or residence
- Proof of ongoing CME and registration will be required
- Relevant professional clinical experience of at least 2 years
- Experience in working in a low-resource setting
- English: fluent in spoken and written
- Basic computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Commitment for a minimum of 1-2 years
- Flexibility and capacity to integrate into a multi-cultural and multi-lingual team
- Post graduate diploma or certificate in Tropical Medicine or relevant work position
- Experience in general internal medicine, pediatric and neonatal care, and/or obstetrics
- Post graduate training in communicable diseases, such as tuberculosis and HIV
- Experience with quality assurance issues and training, especially capacity building
- Master of Public Health
- Certificates: ACLS-BCLS-ATLS
- Previous experience working on the Thai-Burma border
Mae Tao Clinic is a low-resource environment.
A salary of 40,000 THB/month (approx. US$1250/month) is offered. NOTE: Living costs in the local area are relatively very cheap.
Additionally, one annual plane fare to your nominated home base will be given after one year of service in case of a 2-year contract.
Support with obtaining work permit and visa are provided.
Start Date: April 2020
How to apply
To apply for this job please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Using the subject line “Clinical Consultant”.
Deadline of Application
Applications will close on 25th March 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.